Revit Tutorial - Create "Butt Glazing" in a Curtain Wall / Storefront


Javier emailed and asked a very good question:

"Hi Jeff, I was wondering if you have a tutorial where explain how create a exterior glazing wall where the mullions are behind the glazing?"

First, thanks for the question, Javier.  This is a condition commonly known as "butt glazing".  Typically, the glazing sits in front of the mullions and it joined with silicon sealant like the detail below:
A Typical "Butt Glazing" Detail

When I create butt glazing in Revit I find it unnecessary to model this silicon joint.  I simply but the glass together and use the default mullion and curtain panel families.  Keep reading for a quick video illustrating the way I usually create a vertical butt glazed mullion in Revit that looks something like this...

Revit Vertical Butt Glazing - 3D View

Revit Butt Glazing - Plan View

Click here to keep reading! »


EmoticonEmoticon